It’s not just that we want a hero, we all need to be a hero. So, we develop a hero complex that keeps dependence on us. In the church that can mean:
– A pastor never sharing his pulpit
– A board of directors that never rotates members
– A worship leader who never trains other worship leaders
– A youth pastor who never develops a youth staff
– A children’s pastor who wants a bigger audience instead of age appropriate learning
Great leadership empowers people, and doesn’t keep all the attention. I have found that leaders are those who give generously. They give compliments, opportunity, attention, encouragement and themselves. They make people improve, which is the greatest gift one can receive.
Don’t be a hero, be a leader