I have received a lot of inquiries about Charles and Ann Watson, and it is obvious they are well loved by our congregation. Here are some details about their situation:
– They are staying with Charles’ father in Madison (food is not an issue right now).
– Thought they have still not returned to their home, neighbors estimate up to 2 feet of water was in the home.
– They are waiting for the insurance adjustor to view the damage before clean up. They are aware this may not always be necessary, but it is their desire to wait on clean up until the adjustor has viewed the damage. We have an insurance adjustor from the church advising them.
– They only got a few clothing items, so they are hoping their clothes are still usable.
– As soon as I know the plan to physically help them, I will let you know.
As I looked for damage on Tuesday morning, I missed a very important street by our church – Southburn Drive. This street was devastated by the flood. It is located very close to Whitten Elementary School where two of my children attend, and it is the closest elementary school to our church.
By the time I discovered the street Tuesday afternoon, an army of volunteers had converged upon this very long street along the creek. Mary Jackson (CIL attender) had initiated the Whitten PTO board in service, and Principal Adam Cripps of Whitten led his staff in the relief effort. Principal Kenny Powell (CIL member) of Knox Doss Drakes Creek Middle School had some of his staff cleaning also. I was amazed and the love and care of these parents and educators.
This morning, I met with Mr. Cripps and other PTO leaders at Whitten Elementary to strategize on how we can work together to help these victims on Southburn Dr. long-term. I’ll be giving you more details as the needs become apparent and a plan is established.
Operation Blessing has some pre-prepared meals set aside for CIL to distribute to the flood victims in Hendersonville. If someone wants to volunteer to pick those meal up in a truck or cargo vehicle they have at the Living to Go Church in Rivergate tomorrow, please let me know.
Please know that any donations you make to the church that is designated for “Flood Relief” will go to help people in our church and nearby community. We will take an offering for this cause on Sunday, or you can designate your gift in tonight’s offering.
I hope to see you at church tonight, as we have a great service scheduled!