March means college basketball, and I’ve watched a lot of basketball over the years. Since my earliest memories only go back to about 1980, here are the best college teams I remember watching (the year is the “spring date” of the season):
2) 1996 Kentucky Wildcats: Rick Patino never gathered a more talented and disciplined group.
3) 1984 Georgetown Hoyas: Patrick Ewing led team was dominating in every way.
4) 1990 UNLV Runnin’ Rebels: It was hard to see Dallas native Larry Johnson play outside of Texas, but the pure talent on this team may be unmatched by any other team.
6) 1994 Arkansas Razorbacks: A solid team led by Corliss Williamson, and cheered on by President Clinton. This was a fun era for the state of Arkansas.
7) 2007 Florida Gators: The most under-appreciated back-t0-back champions in NCAA history.
8) 1993 North Carolina Tar Heels: This incredibly talented team helped Dean Smith seal a legendary career, and quiet Michigan’s “Fab Five.”
9) 1983 Houston Cougars: The only team on my list that didn’t win it all. Akeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler led a team that should have never lost to NC State. However, the dominance of the Cougars made the NC States upset win more meaningful.
10) 2008 Kansas Jayhawks: This team could run, as they upheld the KU tradition of winning with Coach Bill Self’s first championships.